Civipol, the technical cooperation operator of the French Ministry of the Interior, is a private company that provides service to the public sector which help foreign states to strengthen their internal security and upholding their sovereignty. As a specialist in Technical Assistance, Procurement and Promotion of the security industry, Civipol intervenes in the areas of identity, cross-border movement and territorial reach.
Civipol implements around 100 transnational projects, in close collaboration with partners of all nationalities, in more than 80 countries worldwide, principally in Africa.
The projects implemented by Civipol are mainly funded by international donors (European Commission, World Bank, UN).
“The Regional Operational Centre in Khartoum in support of the Khartoum Process and AU-Horn of Africa Initiative (ROCK)” is a regional project to fight criminal networks involved in human trafficking and smuggling, financed by the Emergency Trust Fund for Africa of the European Union, which was launched as part of the Khartoum process at the request of countries from the Horn of Africa.
The ROCK is implemented by Civipol Conseil for the benefit of a consortium of EU Member States, made of France, the United Kingdom, Italy, with Spain as associated partner and Germany as an observer, and in partnership with INTERPOL and the African Union. The ROCK is being set up for the countries of the Khartoum process and the AU Horn of Africa Initiative.
The strategy of the ROCK project is to facilitate the exchange information between competent police Law Enforcement Agencies. At the heart of the project is therefore the creation of a platform, the regional centre “ROCK”, to bring together liaison officers from beneficiary countries in one location to effectively exchange police information to fight criminal networks involved in trafficking in human beings.
The project started in December 2017 and is expected to run until December 2020.
You can find further information on:
- Civipol website
- European commission website
As part of the ROCK Project, we are looking for a Technical Advisor who can be mobilized in Khartoum.
He/she will work in close collaboration with the Technical Director (Team Leader), the Project Coordinator, the Regional Liaison Coordinator and the Office manager.
He/She will have to perform the following tasks :
- Selecting, training and mentoring the Liaison Officers designated by the countries of the region, to make sure they are able to fulfill their mission
- The focus of the project being on learning by doing, counselling the Liaison officers in their duties and providing quality assurance regarding reports and analysis
- Contributing to the design of processes, procedures and communication protocols of the center, in partnership with the Technical Director
- Aside from delivering training on the running of a cooperation center, designing and monitoring the wider curriculum delivered to the Liaison Officers working in the center, which will tackle a wide array of subjects, such as Human Rights, investigation, or secure communciation
- Writing up terms of reference for assignments of non key / short term experts and selecting relevant profiles
- Managing logistics of those missions with the support of the local office team and guiding the non key experts, that will come into play during the course of the project
- Contributing to the specifications for the equipment procured as part of the project
- Contributing to the roll-out of activities on a daily basis, under the supervision of the Project Coordinator
- Liaising with the beneficiary institutions, that is, law enforcement agencies involved in the project
- Writing up reports, whether formal interim reports or ad hoc studies and analyses requested by the partners of the project, providing dashboards
- Position based in Khartoum (Sudan) to fill immediately with business trips in Horn of Africa
- Full time until December 2020 (The duration may be less, to be discussed).
Professional Experience :
- Master Degree in a discipline related to law, economics, development or security – otherwise, at least 15 years of relevant professional experience
- At least 10 years of professional experience in the fight against human trafficking and smuggling
- At least 10 years of professional experience in law enforcement
- Experience in the running of a Police Customs Cooperation Centre
- Experience in the field of international cooperation, e.g. as Police Attaché in an Embassy
- Experience working in international teams
- Previous experience as trainer is a major asset
- Knowledge of EU procurement procedures is an asset
- Fluent in English (written, spoken, read)
- Knowledge of Arabic is an asset
- Experience in the Horn of Africa is an asset
- Computer literacy competence : Microsoft word, excel, power point
- Organization, rigor, flexibility and great autonomy
- Ability to work in teams and on multiple files in parallel
- Diplomacy and experience of institutional relations
- Priority and contingency management
- Have good writing and relationship skills
Please send your application (Motivation letter + CV) to the following address : firstname.lastname@example.org